Monday, July 15, 2013

Rhetorical Outline

My apologies, eblogger did not give me the option to attach a word file.


 

Par.
Brief description of what the author is doing
One-sentence distillation of what the paragraph is saying
(first-person point of view)
Key Terms
1
Introductory paragraph which gives a glimpse on the importance of communication.
This paragraph establishes that I am on a soccer team which is currently losing a match because of our lack of communication.
Silent, losing, lack of communication
2
I make my first transition between story and analysis here.
I compare my team to Barcelona, and show that in not speaking, we will not get anywhere because we lack the sense of unity an present in a professional team.
Reservations, aggravation, team
3
I expand upon the notion that communication/language is important.
My friends end I debated for a while on what the most important innovation is. In the end, we all agree that it is language.
Language, communication
4
I transition back into story. At this point in time, we start to do better because we understand what’s at stake.
When we began to communicate, my team found it easier to play the game properly.
Unification, introversion,
Communication
5
I switch back again to discuss the importance of communication.
Without speech, we might as well be jellyfish, floating off into nothingness.
Exchanging ideas, speech, voice, solitary confinement
6
Continue my explanation and introduce Brian Doyle’s Joyas Volodoras.
You can either live a boring, elongated life, or try to make it special via expression.
Strength & weakness, life, carpe diem
7
Cut back to story mode. Emphasize our struggle to maintain control.
We start coming out on top here. After Lasha scores our first goal, we look for opportunities to score a winning goal.
Difficulty, informing
8
Introduce Amy Tan’s Mother Tongue and compare it to our situation.
Introduce the notion of lingo as a form of unification. Also the uniting theme b/w Amy Tan and my soccer team.
Secular language, responsibility, lingo
9
Return to the story for the last time.
Our team finally forces a breakthrough, through communication, that earns us a free kick. Though we lost a valuable player, collectively we were still sound.
Shouting, team, communication
10
Continue the story
Our team won the game as Lasha scored a header off of Santi’s free kick.
Whistle, focus, goal
11
Conclusion
To win, you have to speak. Communication is essential.
Speak, balance, winning

No comments:

Post a Comment